We often take our hands for granted, not realizing how vital they are to our everyday life.
From brushing your teeth in the morning to driving a car, hands play a massive role in the way our society operates. Because hands are crucial to our standard of living, it’s important to know how to protect them from compromising situations.
According to PEC Safety, a technology and training company for contractors,
“The hands are the most frequently injured part of the body. One-third of all oil and gas industry accidents are hand injuries.”
In this field, having capable hands can make or break you. Here are a few ways to make sure that you’re handling the dangers on-site:
Make sure you have the right PPE – personal protective equipment
- Gloves can be a lifesaver, literally. Depending on what kind of job you’re doing, make sure that your gloves can protect from chemicals, electricity, power tools, sharp objects, and more. Not only do they have to be the right type of glove, but the right size. Comfort is critical for everyday usage. Inspect gloves to make sure they fit correctly, that they are right for the job and are not ripped or damaged.
- It can be easy to get distracted or become complacent but that’s when most accidents happen. Remember to be aware and watch out for your hands and others!
- Old equipment can become dangerous if it’s outdated or broken. Make sure that your tools are up-to-date for smooth operations.
- You can have the best equipment out there, but if you’re not properly trained it won’t matter. Knowing how to use the machinery is a top priority for safety and efficiency.
Watch out for your buddy
- If you’re looking out for others, they’ll look out for you too. Stay ahead of accidents by keeping one another accountable!
Taking Care of Injuries
- If there is an incident, report it right away and take the necessary precautions for medical attention. It’s important to take care of your health!
If you agree or know someone who could use a few safety tips, share this post and spread the love!
Now for the month of August, you can be entered to win a YETI cooler, Bass Pro Shop gift card, RigUp gear, WiFi hotspot, cell booster and $1,000 cash! All you have to do is complete your RigUp profile! The first 100 entries will receive an exclusive Make Oil and Gas Great Again hat! Learn more about RigUp’s Summer Sweepstakes here.